বৃহস্পতিবার, ২৫ অক্টোবর, ২০১২

Melbourne Festival ? Square Poets | B's Travel Blog


I arrived right in the middle of the Melbourne Festival, which runs from the 11th ? 27th of October with Theatre, Music, Dance, Film and Visual Art events all over the city. Since I just found out about it the other day I went to check out the first free event I read about in Fed Square called Square Poets. It was a nice day and I arrived just past noon to stake out a good seat in the wide open square on one of the few ledges facing the stage.

As 1pm approached the crowd slowly grew to about 10-15 people with a vast open area space in front of the stage. Not ideal for a poetry show but as they started more people were drawn in to the space and soon there was about 30 people sitting around for some lunch time poetry as part of the festival.

Fed Square Poets

Alia Gabres at Square Poets in Fed Square

The host, Luke Wright, from Essex started off the show with some good pieces before introducing the local artists. Since poetry is an art form I won?t pass judgement on each person but I can say I enjoyed some more then others.

For me it was interesting to see some threads that are universal since I?ve only experienced poetry slams in Austin, Texas and Vancouver my frame of reference for poetry is quite small but also I enjoy listening to the more local topics that were raised.

The last local artist, Jacky T, was my favourite and while one of his poems was local it still have universal themes that would apply to many of the cities I visited throughout North America over the past year. I found this version of it on YouTube from a different performance.

All in all it was an enjoyable hour of free entertainment that exemplifies the arts and culture in a large metropolitan city that I love, the reason I don?t know if I could ever live in a small town in my life. I love the life that flows through the veins of cities, the interesting sparks of creativity that stem from a small splash of land cohabited by a diverse bunch.

-B

Source: http://bstravel.ca/travel/adventures-from-the-road/melbourne-festival-square-poets/

Long Island Medium Alfonso Ribeiro morgan freeman cbs sports adam sandler cbs College Football Scoreboard

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন